Major incident with ‘number of casualties’ after village ‘takeaway bloodbath’
Armed police are dealing with a “major incident” in a Welsh village after the ‘sudden and unexplained death’ of a 16-year-old girl.
Two men have been arrested over the death in Ynyswen, Rhondda, South Wales, and they are currently receiving treatment in hospital for serious injuries.
Police believe the three people involved knew each other and they are not looking for any other suspects.
It comes after screams were heard coming from near the Blue Sky Chinese takeaway in Ynyswen shortly after midday.
Residents say the scene has been described as a “bloodbath”, and this afternoon a white forensics tent was put up outside the building.
Superintendent Rich Jones, from South Wales Police, said: “This is clearly a very serious incident which has caused significant shock and concern for both the local and wider community.
“We have a dedicated team of detectives working hard to establish the exact circumstances that have led to the tragic death of this young girl.
“While the investigation is still in its early stages, we can confirm that those involved are understood to know to each other and we are currently not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
“There will be significant police presence in Baglan Street over the weekend but we will reopen the road at the earliest opportunity.
“In the meantime, the support and understanding of the local community is very much appreciated.”
Neighbour John Belgrove 46, said “I was in my workshop when I heard sirens and saw police everywhere.
“There was a girl sitting on a pavement – she was in her pyjamas and they were covered in blood.
“I could see she was sobbing and in a terrible state.”
South Wales Police said they were dealing with a “serious incident” which involved a “number of casualties.”
Neighbour Mavis Wakeford said: “It is very serious. The police have stopped me going out the back and told me to stay inside.”
A smaller cordon has been set up within the larger cordon and officers are carrying out investigations along the street.
A force spokesman previously said: “Police units are currently dealing with a serious incident which occurred in Baglan Street, Treorchy, at approximately midday today (5 March, 2021).
“Ambulance crews are also in attendance as the incident involves a number of casualties.
“The street has been closed off and people are advised to avoid the area until further notice.”
A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Trust has confirmed they were called to the scene at noon today.
They said that one rapid response vehicle, three emergency ambulances and the air ambulance were sent to the scene.
Local resident Linsey Simmonds said: “I was coming past the Baglan Field and saw the Air Ambulance land there, and in the past 20 minutes there’s been up to 30 police and ambulance vehicles.
“You can’t walk past there or drive up the valley.”
Another unnamed resident said: “I live in the street, it was about half past 12 on my way to meet my friend.
“As I come around the corner there was loads of sirens getting passed and I saw four police at the bottom with guns telling people they couldn’t come down the hill.
“They were saying can you get back.
“Then a couple of minutes later I saw someone getting stretchered off into the back of an ambulance literally outside the Chinese by the hill.”
Rhondda MP Chris Bryant said: “I have been informed that the incident in Ynyswen is a major incident.
“The emergency services will be in attendance for a very long period of time. Please do avoid the area. I sincerely hope nobody is extremely hurt.”
A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: “We were called today, Friday 5 March at 12pm to an incident at an address in the Ynyswen area of Treorchy.
“We attended the scene with one rapid response vehicle, three emergency ambulances, our hazardous area response team and the Wales Air Ambulance.”
Councillor Andrew Morgan, the leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council, said he had been informed of “the major incident in Ynyswen” and thanked the emergency services for the “significant attendance which is ongoing”.
He added: “My thoughts are with everyone affected by this incident but please avoid the area until emergency services leave the location.”